Table of Contents
- My links look exactly the same after activation/I have same problems as before with the free edition
- How can I improve the performance of the plugin?
- Redirection feature is not working
- When I enable UTF8 support I get a blank page
1. My links look exactly the same after activation/I have same problems as before with the free edition
A common cause is that you still have the SEO Smart Links free activated. Two two plugin can not work together, check and deactivate the free version.
2. How can I improve the performance of the plugin?
Although the premium version is around 6 times faster then the free version, it is not a miracle maker. Do not expect to run 50,000 post website on shared hosting. However with reasonable optimization it can run even bigger sites.
Here are some tips regarding plugin settings.
- Custom keywords are much faster than automatic interlinking. Use them and disable all options under automatic interlinking if you do not use it.
- If you use automatic interlinking try to have fewer options enabled. “Link only to posts within the same category” helps performance so turn it on. Everything else uses extra resources (linking to tags, categories, post slug…).
- Make sure you have “Process only single posts and pages” on.
- If you don’t use it, disable “Enable options in post screen”.
- Make sure you have enabled the Caching option. Increase the default expire time to ten times the default if you do not change your articles frequently after posting.
General optimization is also very important. If you are running a plugin on a big site it may expose some weaknesses in your general database setup that need attention.
- Have you optimized your Database recently?
- Have you disabled post revisions?
- Have you optimized your MySQL settings?
- Do you use a caching plugin like W3 Total Cache, set to Memcached/APC mode?
3. Redirection feature is not working
- Make sure you have entered a base path under Redirection support.
- Make sure you have entered a redirection phrase for your keyword under custom keywords. Format is keywords|URLs|redirection phrase
- Check WordPress permalink settings and make sure pretty permalinks are on (basically anything other than Default). Click Save changes.
4. When I enable UTF8 support I get a blank page
It means that PHP on your server is probably not supporting UTF8 correctly. Instruct your hosting provider to compile PCRE with “–enable-unicode-properties”.