Plugin Central

Plugin Central is a WordPress plugin management add-on to automatically install and update WordPress plugins.

Plugin Central Dashboard

Plugin Central Dashboard View. Active Plugins are in Bold

Features:

• Install plugins directly by typing the Name of plugin or URL to the plugin zip file!
  • Multiple-plugin install feature allows you to move your plugins from one blog to another
  • Displays status of out-dated plugins on the Dashboard
  • Option to update all out-dated plugins with a single click!

3. You will see the new item on your Dashboard

Options panel allows you to install multiple plugins by name, directly from WordPress repository! Type the plugin names and click "Install Plugins".

You can also list all of your plugins (or only active). By pasting this list into the install window on another blog you can basically move all of your plugins from one blog to another. More precisely the latest versions of selected plugins will be installed on the target blog.

Dashboard will list status of plugin in need to update and offer installation of all of them at once with a single click.

The plugin will not work together with WordPress Automatic Upgrade plugin at this time, I am working on fixing this issue.

Screenshots

Plugin Central Options

Plugin Central Options Panel

Changelog

• NEW: Completely rewritten the plugin
  • NEW: Using core function to update multiple files

• Support for WP2.8

• Added plugin delete and ignore updates

v1.20:

• Added a new function for handling files
  • Moved the options page to plugin administration

Apr 07th, 2008 v1.1

• Added support to install plugins directly from URL

Apr 03rd, 2008 v1.0

• Initial release

I also offer professional WordPress services, feel free to contact me.

1. Apr 25th, 2008 11:20 AM

Same error as jez:

Found rb-internal-links 0.21!
    Filesystem error FTP hostname is required

2. Apr 23rd, 2008 1:44 PM

Thanks Kym for the plug.

You are for making such a great WordPress resource over there!

3. Apr 23rd, 2008 7:30 AM

Hello! Just wanted you to know that you were mentioned this week on WordCast episode 9 :) http://www.wordcastonline.com/2008/04/22/wordcast-9-kym-flies-solo/

4. Apr 19th, 2008 11:27 AM

I found something funny - you cannot auto-update the plugin itself (at least it did not work for me). after I tried it completely disappeared. I had to re-download it manually. however, I love this plugin!

5. Apr 19th, 2008 2:07 AM

Will this work on the updated (currently beta but working) wordpress-mu for installing and updating plugins? we really need a plugin manager for MU.

6. Apr 10th, 2008 10:23 PM

Wow, this sounds great. Was looking for something like this. I already use your Test Theme plugin and that's a great plugin. Thanks for developing such great plugins and also for sharing them with us. Much appreciated.

moserw

7. Apr 10th, 2008 9:00 AM

David: Thanks for the props. Can you suggest css chnages for Fluency admin that will work for both the default theme and that one?

jez: Your issue is known and currently the plugin will work on hosts that will allow you http permissions. I am working on a ftp solution similar to wordpress (enter ftp details..) so please be patient !

8. Apr 10th, 2008 8:30 AM

I get:

Filesystem error FTP hostname is required

when trying to install from an url.
    the upgrade function however works like a charm!

(supplied ftp stuff there and worked out of the box).

9. Apr 10th, 2008 5:27 AM

Thanks, this is the plugin I've bee missing, but not quite sure what I wanted to look like until I saw it in action. I have 37 plugins on my primary blog and some mixture of those and others on several others across work and friends/family, so being able to manage and install/test easily is a huge, huge timesaver! Even over jumping in with SSH and doing a wget/unzip, which is pretty fast.

I would like to see an additiona panel under the Plugins area to keep all the Plugin-related stuff together, rather than under Dashboard. Howver, I like the main panel added to the Dashboard!

I am using the Fluency Admin plugin (admin theme) and although the style of the Dashboard insert could use a bit of tweaking, it seems to work fine (and the full sub-panel area works fine).

10. Apr 9th, 2008 10:14 PM

Yep, those two functionalities are on my to-do list

11. Apr 9th, 2008 10:07 PM

Vladimir,
    Thanks. I withdraw my comment. I selected a few semi-random plugins from the WP Plugins page (chCounter Widget, LeagueManager, Theme Tester) and was able to load and activate them using Plug-In Central with no trouble.

Can I suggest adding Deactivate and Delete Plugin functions? That way I don't have to go to my FTP client if a plugin doesn't work as expected.

thanks again for your hard work!
    Steve

12. Apr 9th, 2008 8:54 PM

Steve you are a true skeptic which can be also seen from the name of your site "Careful Thought". Which is cool ;)

So the advantages of this plugin to WP 2.5 are:

• update all plugins at once with one click (one click update)
    • do so from dashboard without having to go to plugins (you always start with dashboard page)
    • ability to install plugins directly by typing either just the name of plugin (plugin is found in wordpress repository automatically, downloaded, unpacked and installed) or by typing the url of the plugin zip file

And some other cool things like multiple plugin installation etc..

13. Apr 9th, 2008 5:23 PM

I hope I’ll finally say goodbye to my ftp client.

What am I missing? This plugin provides nothing beyond the basic WP 2.5 plug-in capability. Where's the ftp capability? Why do I need to go to the Dashboard to handle plug-ins? Why not from the PlugIns page?

PlugInstaller provides a little better capability, though it's far from perfect.

14. William
    Apr 9th, 2008 1:39 PM

lbitv, I bet your going to have to do that the old fashion way, the other way I can think of take far too much effort.

15. Apr 9th, 2008 11:45 AM

Guys thanks for all the feedback and support.

This plugin is still in beta and not all functionalities might be working. But I wanted to release it as soon as possible to public for testing.

The main reason some plugin installs would not work are filesystem permissions. I used 100% wordpress filesystem routines to remain compatible and safe and on some hosts you will not have permissions to write to certain directories. In the future versions I will write an independent ftp method that will work on all systems.

If you have problems with unpacking it is usually due to WP Automatic Upgrade plugin. It's author and I are working on a workaround solution.

16. Apr 9th, 2008 11:04 AM

Waow about time someone did this! Will definitely feature this on a future edition of WordCast @ http://www.wordcastonline.com/

Having a little trouble with this though: When I try to update, I get:

==========

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/all-in-one-seo-pack.zip

Unpacking the update

Could not create directory

==========

Also when I try to install, I get this:

==========

Found all-in-one-seo-pack 1.4.6.7!
    Filesystem error FTP hostname is required

==========

Little help?

17. Apr 9th, 2008 10:58 AM

Nevermind about my previous "not working" comment. I have deactivated my Automatic WP Update plugin and the Plugin Central works like a charm (tested it again with TinyMCE Advanced).

Thanks a lot!

18. lbitv
    Apr 9th, 2008 4:02 AM

Another question, where down the plugin install files for the new plugins it downloads & installs?

I want to use the image rotator tool with the NextGen Gallery. Plugin Central installed NextGen, but I cannot find the plugin folder anywhere on my server. I need to upload the image rotator swf file to the"nggallery" folder that should have been created under a traditional ftp upload & install.

Please advise, & thank u in advance

19. Lbitv
    Apr 9th, 2008 3:41 AM

Thanks William, I hade the WP Automatic Upgrade plugin active ( a great way to upgrade btw). Once I deactivated it, Plugin central worked perfectly!

I'll just activate the upgrade when new versions of WP are anounced.

Thanks again

20. Apr 8th, 2008 10:07 PM

Tried it with TinyMCE advanced. It stuck on "unpacking" :S
    It seems to work with plugin updates though.

21. Apr 8th, 2008 11:02 AM

I hope I'll finaly say goodbye to my ftp client. Thanks.

22. William
    Apr 7th, 2008 1:58 PM

I tend to see that error when I there is more then one update type plugin installed, be it for plugins or themes. Try disabling them all and just try one.

23. lbitv
    Apr 7th, 2008 5:14 AM

I've tried your plugin, which is a great idea by the way, & I get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class pclzip in /home/lbitvcom/public_html/retv/wp-admin/includes/class-pclzip.php on line 162

I've tried 8 different plugins & they all give the same error.
    Any clues?

24. William
    Apr 6th, 2008 3:09 PM

You may want to add that this conflicts with your Plugin Update Plus plugin. Or at least it did for me.

25. Apr 6th, 2008 12:12 PM

This plugin is going to be downloaded and translated :)
    I love this idea!