SEO Friendly Images

The free version of the plugin is not supported. Get the supported, premium version of SEO Friendly Images with lots of premium only features!

SEO Friendly Images is a WordPress optimization plugin which automatically updates all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes. If your images do not have ALT and TITLE already set, SEO Friendly Images will add them according the options you set. Additionally this makes the post W3C/xHTML valid as well.

ALT attribute is important part of search engine optimization. It describes your image to search engine and when a user searches for a certain image this is a key determining factor for a match.

TITLE attribute play lesser role but is important for visitors as this text will automatically appear in the tooltip when mouse is over the image.

3. Use the Options page to modify ALT and TITLE options.
  4. You are done, SEO Image does everything else

SEO Friendly Images options recognize two tags %title (post title) and %name (filename of the picture). By combining these two tags and additional words (photo, picture etc..) you can create relevant alt and title tags automatically for all images.

Here is a live example of the plugin (active on my blog). The image that has title and alt replaced with "%title" and "%name %title" respectively resulting in "SEO Friendly Image" for title and "example SEO Friendly Images" for alt.

example.jpg

There is one additional option called 'Override default WordPress alt'. If you uploaded pictures to your blog posts already and haven't specified a description WordPress would automatically add a default alt tag in form of image.jpg. Since SEO Friendly Images replaces only empty or non-existing alt tags, this would be left intact unless this option is turned on.

Changelog

v2.4: Regexp Optimization. Fixed bug with single quotes used in images.

v2.3.2: WP 2.7 cleanup

v2.3: Fixes an issue with poorly formatted img tag

v2.0: Fixed compatibility issue with WordPress 2.5.1 and included %category replacement string.

May 20th, 2008 v1.20

* Compatibility with WordPress 2.5.1 and support for %category.

Mar 6st, 2008 v1.1

* Bug fix with quotes in titles

Mar 1st, 2008 v1.0
* Initial release

Visit my other interesting WordPress Plugins.

Need help with WordPress SEO? Feel free to contact me.

1. Mar 10th, 2008 11:03 PM

It must be WordPress which is adding the dashes to the filename then...Man that stinks...I love this plugin for the fact it says me a lot of time...However i cant have those dashes being displayed for the alt and title....Nor can i set it up to add the title of my post cause sometimes my posts have weird titles which i would not want the pictures to be titled as, i use the All in one SEO plugin with WordPress so i just use that to come up with keyword titles for the post...So using this plugin that way would defeat the purpose for me......This is sad, i may have to disable it :(

2. Mar 10th, 2008 10:36 PM

SEO Friendly Images plugin does not alter any filenames, nor is it active in file uploading process. It is changing the posts as they are being displayed, to show different attributes to images. You can check out the image in this post.

3. Mar 10th, 2008 10:05 PM

For the record, just so you know what im dealing with, i am working with the newest version of WordPress...

Your plugin is adding the dashes...Is there anyway to undo that and have it so no dashes are added?

I went to my site and i did save one of the pictures...And yes, it is saved with dashes in the filename...However, that is not how i saved my pictures before i uploaded them....

As said they are all saved with just a space, just dashes...So it would be "Nike Dunk Sneakers"....Your plugin adds the alt and title tag but it adds the dashes to the filename, which werent in the filename when uploaded....

So when i save the photo its like saving a different file i dont already have...Cause now i have "Nike Dunk Sneakers" and "Nike-Dunk-Sneakers" both saved in the same folder and they are both acting as different files due to the dashes in the filename....

Like i said...its the plugin adding the dashes to my filename....Is there any way to stop that?

Sorry if this seems confusing...i am just tryin to make sure i go into detail so you know what im saying...

4. Mar 10th, 2008 11:52 AM

Try to save that image from your browser and you will see it has dashes in the filename. It could be that Blogger is adding the dashes automatically.

5. Mar 10th, 2008 11:36 AM

I save my files without the dash...Unless of course my computer is just not showing them when i view my files...But when i save something ill usually save it as "Nike Dunk Sneaker" without the dashes....Even when i put underscores "Nike_Dunk_Sneakers" it still shows a dash inbetween the words...

6. Mar 10th, 2008 11:29 AM

The dash must be coming from your filename.

Dash is neutral from SEO perspective so you can keep it that way.

7. Mar 10th, 2008 5:34 AM

Great Plugin...I have it setup to pull up the Alt and Title Tag based on the filename since i store my files by their proper names....I have noticed that when i hover over my images it will show a title like Nike-Dunk-Sneakers....I was wondering if this is a plus for SEO when it comes to images or something not so great....Would it be better to display Nike Dunk Sneakers without the - inbetween the words?

8. Mar 9th, 2008 11:31 PM

Great !

I'll test it as soon as possible

As you 've perhaps seen, I'm quite active in SEO in France.
    So if you want, I can try to translate your plugin in french, not in the coming days, as I've some familial obligations, but as soon as I can.. If somebody else doesn't do it before me...
    Why a translation : because people here have problems with foreign languages, even with english... :(

9. Phaze
    Mar 9th, 2008 10:48 PM

186 array_push($pieces, '" title="' . $titletext_rep . '"');

When i did change ' title="' to '" title="' i got it to work....

10. Phaze
    Mar 9th, 2008 7:38 PM

seems like a mozilla problem. I was test in IE and there it was no problems.

11. Phaze
    Mar 9th, 2008 7:26 PM

I did send you an email with link to the pictures/post

12. Mar 9th, 2008 7:12 PM

I did not notice any problems yet but point me to the pictures/posts in question and I'll check it.

13. Phaze
    Mar 9th, 2008 7:03 PM

It's get mixed up with alt and title text like this:
    12345.jpg" 12345="" alt="here you got some text" border=" title=" height="240" width="320">

• Tim
      Aug 15th, 2011 5:35 PM

WE are having the same problem....Any solutions?

14. David Roberts
    Mar 9th, 2008 6:57 PM

"It’s still wrong with alt and title in the zipfile!"

What exactly do you mean?

15. Phaze
    Mar 9th, 2008 6:40 PM

It's still wrong with alt and title in the zipfile!

16. Mar 9th, 2008 6:37 PM

Great plugin, thanks a lot! Its going to be up and running at Inspirit in a few minutes.
    :D

17. Mar 9th, 2008 4:09 PM

actually, this plugin is great for accessibility, but the SEO benefits are great as well, since google images will eat up these keyword-laden tags and you will get more traffic from google images. You would be surprised how many more visitors you can get from that.

18. Mar 7th, 2008 3:28 PM

@Ashish Mohta Yes, I think so. All my past images got "alted" and "titled."

19. Mar 7th, 2008 3:11 PM

Does it pulls up all the images which is stored in upload directory of wordpress and edit their alt and title tag ? If you can provide with a snap shot it would be great

20. Mar 7th, 2008 1:56 PM

Very nice plugin. thanks.

21. Mar 7th, 2008 9:25 AM

A must have plugin for SEO. Thanks..

22. Mar 6th, 2008 2:13 AM

I love it. thanks for sharing. :)

23. Mar 2nd, 2008 7:16 PM

Category, hmmm.. Good idea for next version ;)

24. Mar 2nd, 2008 4:05 PM

What a great plugin, this is very useful.

I’ll be playing around with it immediately.

I don’t know if it has this option but I am especially looking for a plugin that creates the ALT and TITLE text similar as the category. If it doesn’t have this option it might be worth thinking about.

Anyway, thanks a lot!! This is really a great plugin!

25. Mar 2nd, 2008 12:44 AM

Vlad, your plugin (which I consider to be far more necessary for accessibility and usability than SEO) just got onto my "Required WordPress Plugins" list.

Congratulations. :)