Snazzy Archives – WordPress Archive Plugin

Snazzy Archives is a visualization plugin for your WordPress site featuring an unique way to display all your posts. Your archive page will never be boring again!

Snazzy archives simply lets you express yourself and your blog. You can select different layouts and special effects, Snazzy archives will make sure your content stands out.

Snazzy Archives in action

Main features

• Unique visual presentation of blog posts
  • Will work out of the box with all features
  • Posts are scanned for images and youtube videos and shown together with number of comments
  • Different editable layouts (HTML and CSS)
  • Special effects using jQuery
  • Caching available for faster access

Demo

dl Live Blogroll

4. Use the code [snazzy-archive] (without one space) in a post or page where you want to display the archive

You may want to edit the CSS file immediately to adjust the look for your blog. Please read the FAQ for explanation how.

Frequently Asked Questions

Supprt questions can be asked in the plugin support forum.

This looks like Tumblr!

The idea comes actually from this page and people from a popular microblogging platform Tumblr have used it on their blogs as well. I have taken the idea further, creating a plugin that is differnt in many ways.

How can I change default size of archive?

Open style-archive.css for editing. This isĀ  the main file for styling information. First element .snazzy describes the main container.

Height attribute is the height of archive, remove the line if you want full height. Same applies to width. If the archive can not fit in the container, scrollbars will be shown like on the picture.

Also you can enable special effect 1 in your plugin options, this will create a so called carousel effect that will further save space.

How do I change the height and width of the posts and pictures?

Just edit the width of .sz_cont element and height of .sz_img element and notice the change immediately.

How can I show archives full screen like you do?

FirstĀ  create a new empty template file, for example snazzy.php, Then just include header and Snazzy archive call, not the sidebar.Then upload snazzy.php to your theme folder and create a new page on your blog using this template (write page and select this template instead of the default; the option for template is found below the post).

Here is how can one such file look like:

<?php
Template Name: Snazzy Archives

?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<p align="center">
<?php if (isset($SnazzyArchives)) echo $SnazzyArchives->display(); ?>
</p>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

How do I edit and add layouts?

Layouts are stored in files snazzy-layout-1.php, snazzy-layout-2.php and so on.. Edit these fles or make your own using the available variables

• $first_for_day - is the comment first for given day, used usually for additional clearance
  • $title - post title
  • $excerpt - post excerpt
  • $comcount - number of comments
  • $imageurl - url of the post image
  • $youtubeurl - url of the video (without http://)
  • $day, $month, $year - date of post

How do I set carousel options?

Options for carousel (special effect #1) can be found in snazzy-archives.js.php file. You can set how many elements are visible at once (variable visible) and if you change width of the items in your CSS file, do not forget to change it here as well - option def_width (add 16px for default padding).

How can I contribute?

You can create your own custom layouts and special effects! Send them to me for inclusion in future versions. Also you can send your feedback, bug reports and suggestions.

- Added caching
- Added option to load images
- Added option to specify page id, so the scripts load only that page

v0.6 - Added options to show years in rows and months in reverse order (thanks Jorge Sierra!)
v0.5 - IE fix and xHTML compliance
v0.4 - bug fix release. changed the code to [snazzy-archive]
v0.1 - First release

If you are looking for WordPress Services, feel free to contact me.

1. Aug 22nd, 2008 5:36 PM

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes you can select different layouts in Snazzy archives options in your wordpress admin menu.

The demo of snazzy archives is available at http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/archive-spec

2. Aug 22nd, 2008 4:56 PM

What an AWESOME plugin! Just installing it transformed my archives page. Your website is beautiful too.

I'm quite new to WordPress, CSS, php, all of it. Could you just help me? I know you say that different layouts are stored in files snazzy-layout-1.php, snazzy-layout-2.php etc., but where/how do I actually select which layout is used? And is there a place where we can see the different layout examples at all?

Thanks so much for your work on this - I really love it.

3. Aug 21st, 2008 10:16 AM

David: Yes, change the browser. IE was never meant to render anything more complicated then Microsoft Homepage.

Massa, Craig: Thanks so much.

4. Aug 21st, 2008 9:32 AM

Hi,

I have to congratulate you on your plugin, I love it. I have been looking around for ages for something that would make my archives page be unique to most boring ones.

And I came across yours, and instantly loved it. I am implementing it as we speak, and love it.

Well done on the hard work in doing this plugin, and I thank you loads, infact I am going to advertise it on my blog saying how good this plugin really is.

Keep up the good work.

5. Aug 20th, 2008 7:35 PM

Thank you for the IE fix. Reactivated - no more script error. :) Love, love, love this plugin. I will recommend it to others (via my blog) when I return from my 4-month blog hiatus.

6. Aug 20th, 2008 6:36 PM

Hi Vladimir. Thanks for the updates. It still doesn't work quite right with IE7. I selected the first demo and the first thing I noticed was that my cursor was flashing between arrow and the wait cursor (IE7 on Windows Vista). It does this even after the page is fully loaded whenever the cursor is over the page.

The second thing I noticed was that when click on a day to close it and then click on it again to open it (I just selected the first one on the left - 19) it displays the result too high which covers the month name and day number. If I click on another number in that same column (e.g. 18) it fixes itself but then when I click on the second number again that one gets displayed at the top covering the month name and day number.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    David

7. Aug 20th, 2008 1:53 PM

IE issues are fixed in the new version 0.5. Also the output has been made full xHTML compliant.

8. Aug 19th, 2008 9:30 AM

Hi,

I got it to work ("Carousel effect") in Firefox 2 & 3 on my blog:

However, in Internet Explorer 7.0 (specifically, I tested in
    ver. 7.0.5730.13), only a script error and Carousel arrows left/right arrows appear... but nothing else.

This problem also "SEEMS" to exist on your blog (the Carousel demo). I tested this demo page under IE:

What resulted is this script error on your blog:
    Line: 24
    Char: 5
    Error: Expected indentifier, string or number
    Code: 0
    URL: http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/archive-spec?layout=1&fx=1

Could you pretty please look into this issue? I totally LOVE this plugin, but if I can't get it to work in IE7... unfortunately, I'll have to say goodbye to it. :(

Thanks for any help given.

9. Aug 15th, 2008 8:44 AM

I don't plan on to releasing special fx2 and fx3 publicly yet as it is difficult to configure for newbies. But I'll tell you this: the code for fx2 and fx3 is already implemented in the public version of snazzy archives - you just need to enable it :)

10. Aug 11th, 2008 3:59 PM

I very VERY like "Special FX 3 Flash Space" effect. Can you share it? I will be your beta-tester_

11. Aug 11th, 2008 5:14 AM

Thank you so much for this one!! You are a genius!

12. Aug 11th, 2008 12:20 AM

This is one cool plugin .. but I have over 1200 posts and the page takes forever to load - is there any way to make this plugin use paging?? :)

Thx JK

13. Aug 7th, 2008 2:18 AM

This is a-m-a-z-i-n-g, look at my page under SURPRISE! (top nav)
    Many thanks from Austria
    eliZZZa

14. Aug 4th, 2008 9:12 AM

hi, vladimir!

many TNX for this amazing plugin... it's a great tool...
    your site is a great resource for WP junkiez...

keep the good work...

best!

15. Aug 2nd, 2008 8:51 PM

Let's take all plugin questions and discussions into the newly opened support forums: http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/forum

16. Aug 2nd, 2008 6:16 PM

Another note, on v2.6 your plugin breaks the plugin "Wordpress Admin Bar".
    Bummer because I have to choose function over form and abandon snazzy until this is fixed.
    Pablo

17. Aug 2nd, 2008 4:32 PM

Hello,
    This is a great plugin Vladamir! It is good to have the choices of layouts. However, I have one difficulty on one of my WP sites where I have all content nested in the "post-tabs" plugin. Your plugin does not look beyond the [tab] call for images, but includes the "[tab}" code in the archive. Is thare any way around this. The same is true if a person is using the "insert more" / "split" tag.

Pablo

18. Aug 2nd, 2008 2:24 AM

hi. Thanks for plugin

perfect.

Regards

19. Aug 1st, 2008 10:10 PM

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

20. Aug 1st, 2008 2:00 PM

I love this plugin! When I switch to carousel mode, The buttons at the top cover part of the year. Is it possible to move the year down a line or two?

21. Aug 1st, 2008 7:05 AM

Thanks for the patch. Nice site!

22. Aug 1st, 2008 4:35 AM

Great plugin! One small tweak I added so that it only queried certain posts when limiting by month/tag/author/whatever:

(snazzy-archives.php):

if (is_category() || is_tag() || is_day() || is_month() || is_year()) {
    global $posts;
    } else {
    $query="SELECT * FROM $wpdb->posts WHERE post_status = 'publish' AND post_password = '' AND post_type IN ($types) ORDER BY post_date_gmt DESC ";
    $posts = $wpdb->get_results($query);
    }

That way if there's a limitation it will use the $posts array, if not it will query all--

Great job on this!

23. Jul 28th, 2008 3:12 PM

Hi,

I tried you plugin on a WPMU blog (multiple user version of WP) but activating the plugin brings up the message 'Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.' The strange thing is that I cannot find any related messages in the server error log, so I have no clue as to what is causing this.

Any ideas? It would be a GREAT plugin to make compatible with WPMU :)

--ravan

24. Jul 27th, 2008 9:58 AM

I will release an update for the plugin when I am back from vacation :)

In the meantime if you like the plugin you can vote for Snazzy Archives in the WordPress plugin competition: http://weblogtoolscollection.com/pluginblog/2008/07/10/snazzy-archives-2/

25. Jul 26th, 2008 4:59 AM

I have a lot of blank space at the bottom of the page. Is there any way to get a scroll bar at the top of the page rather than or in addition to at the bottom?

Thanks!