WP Wall – WordPress Guestbook Plugin

WP Wall is a "Wall" widget that appears in your blog's side bar. Readers can add a quick comment about the blog as a whole, and the comment will appear in the sidebar immediately (without reloading the page).

All comments are internally handled by WordPress so that means you have normal comment moderation, SPAM protection and new comment notification.

WP Wall is fully customizable with a CSS file and included graphics.

WP Wall features:

• Global commenting "Wall"
  • Comments are handled entirely by WordPress
  • RSS Feed for the Wall
  • Smilies
  • Instant delete for admin
  • Navigation through pages
  • Interactive Wall: It can automatically refresh turning into a chat

4. Add the widget to your sidebar

5. Optionally add WP Wall recent comments to your sidebar. This will filter out wall comments from appearing on recent comments list

WP Wall Admin

FAQ

How does it work?

It creates a draft page in your blog under which all comments are stored.

What if I don't use widgets, how do I code this to appear in the sidebar?

Just put this code somewhere in your theme template, probably sidebar.php

<?php  if (function_exists('WPWall_Widget')) WPWall_Widget(); ?>

How does it combat SPAM ?

The same way your usual blog comments work. You can enable comment moderation. Or you can install one of the spam blocking plugins like Akismet.

How to have fixed height and a scrollbar for multiple comments?

Open up wp-wall.css and look for #wallcomments. You should add something like height:200px;. This will give it fixed height. Then increase the number of comments in the settings to 10-15.

How do I change it into a shoutbox/chat?

Just set the refresh time to 5 seconds in the WP Wall options. The Wall becomes a chat-box :)

Performance issues with hosting/server

Be careful with setting interactive chat option. On busy sites this can cause overload of server resources. Try increase the refresh time above 10 seconds or disable this option by setting 0.

An error occurred, please notify the administrator

If you have this problem, change the file permissions of the files in the wp wall directory to 755.

How can I enable smilies?

WP Wall can show smilies using built in WordPress functionality if you enable it in your administration panel (Settings-> Writing-> Convert emoticons...). You can find more information about using smilies here .

Is it possible to display a “Wall-Archive” Page to show all comments?

Actually you will find WP Wall in your draft pages. Just edit it to your liking and - publish it! All comments will appear at the end of the page as usual.
How do I add a border around the comment wall?

Add this to #wallcomments section of css file:

border: 1px solid #cccccc;
padding 7px;

How did you solve the problem with the commenter's email address?

The plugin does not require one to enter their email address.

What's new

- Fixed bug with if the blog was not in root directory (thanks Enrico Rossomando)
- Added a special recent comments widget which will not display Wall comments (thanks Enrico Rossomando!)
- Tested in 2.8

If you are looking for WordPress Developer, feel free to contact me.

1. Jul 5th, 2008 6:42 PM

Elm: Actually you will find WP Wall in your draft pages. Just edit it to your liking and - publish it! All comments will appear at the end of the page as usual :)

2. Elm
    Jul 5th, 2008 6:30 PM

Very nice PlugIn! Is it possible to display a "Wall-Archive"-Page to show all comments? That way it could be used as a guestbook, showing the recent entries up front and all the others on a guestbook-page "inside" the blog.

3. Jul 5th, 2008 6:10 PM

Hi Brad.. All my plugins have donation link listed on the official wordpress site like here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-wall/

I do not take those donations though, I forwarded them to some charities of my choice.

4. Jul 5th, 2008 3:56 PM

Just a suggestion...you should put a donate link on your site if you can. I'm not sure where you are or if you can even use PayPal for donates, but you have a really cool plugin here, and I think people would show their support for it. I know I would. ;)

Brad

5. Jul 5th, 2008 10:32 AM

It may be because you enabled comment moderation on your blog. Or you have entered a comment that was caught by spam protection.

6. Jul 5th, 2008 7:31 AM

Why if i post a comment the shoutbox say like this

"your comment is waiting moderation"

can i disable that feature

7. gabby
    Jul 5th, 2008 4:34 AM

i am using a capthca plugin, so what would i need to do to the widget file? I would use akismet, but i thought you needed a wordpress.org/com account to get the api key. the other way was just easier...I guess id be willing to make the effort haha..and as for the smileys, before you released your new version about an hour or two ago (lol), i was using the custom smileys plugin and just added the php code above the comment box, which worked perfectly as well

8. Jul 5th, 2008 12:58 AM

0.4 version update is out and it also brings in the smilies to da WALL ;)

9. Jul 5th, 2008 12:48 AM

Dude...didn't even look at the Comments section. Wow, I'm a douche.

And I'll be patiently waiting for that update. ;) I see you already have it working on your Wall. Nice!

10. Jul 5th, 2008 12:10 AM

gabby: you are probably using a plugin that adds captcha to comments or some other check. You would need to edit wp-wall-widget.php to include these fields to the wp wall form. Or disable it and use akismet :)

11. Jul 5th, 2008 12:02 AM

Brad: you can delete comments from within your WordPress administration panel Just go to Comments. WP Wall comments are treated the same way as usual comments.

The issue with "shooting up to top" will be addressed in next update.

gabby: you do not need extra plugin. wordpress has built in support for smilyes: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Smilies and its working on wp-wall

12. gabby
    Jul 4th, 2008 11:49 PM

ok well, i realized after i posted this how to add the smilies lol, but im having a problem with guest posts. No matter what I put into the textbox and name fields, it always gives the wrong anti-spam word error. any ideas why this is happening?

13. gabby
    Jul 4th, 2008 11:21 PM

a little strip of clickable smilies right above the comment box would be nice. is there any way i can integrateit myself or is there a plugin that will do this?

14. Jul 4th, 2008 10:51 PM

Ok, 1 issue.

When someone clicks on the "Leave a Reply" button, it shoots them to the top of the window. What would I put in the "a href" tag to link down to a spot in my sidebar where the Wall plugin is placed?

Also, for those who are interested in deleting certain comments from your Wall form, read on.

*Firstly, I have to remind you that backing up your database(s) is crucial in case of preventing errors. Also, it's a good idea to make regular backups of your theme files as well your plugin folder.

**If you have no experience editing database files, then I recommend not messing with them at all. Seriously.

Here's how:
    1. Access your MySQL database for your WordPress installation.
    2. Find the table called "Comments".
    3. Find the comment entries you want to delete and do it.

The comments for each entry are near the end of the tables, in text, as they are written on your blog. That's it.

Brad

15. Jul 4th, 2008 7:35 PM

Error: wallform[0] has no properties
    Source File: http://www.pokerplasm.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-wall/wp-wall.js.php?ver=7796
    Line: 81

The plugin works great, just FireFox says there is a js error. Any way to fix that?

16. Jul 4th, 2008 3:45 PM

Great Idea!

17. Jul 4th, 2008 3:14 PM

hi. Thanks for plugin

perfect.

Regards

18. shadow
    Jul 4th, 2008 1:48 PM

Nice plugin.
    Can I disable shouts from recent comments list in sidebar?

19. Jul 4th, 2008 12:18 PM

Thanks for your input. How did you solve breaking long words with your widget?

I did include date on hover already in version 0.3 which I released today.

20. Jul 4th, 2008 12:04 PM

thx :-) I'll give it a live try on my site later on, meanwhile you can check out another implementation I made for friends on their site to check out some nice feature, like: on mouse over the commenters name you see the comment date, etc.

look at the right side. its the tagboard widget implemented.

21. Jul 4th, 2008 11:16 AM

1. Change the refresh time to 5 sec. That should be enough.

2. I solved it by not entering it into the comment data

I am happy to include all cool features you may think of :)

22. Jul 4th, 2008 8:40 AM

also I just commented, then clicked: reply again, and my last comment was still in the form, had to delete my old comment text to write the new one.
    Also what happens when I type a really long word in?
    does it scroll if I set it to show i.e. 25 comments?
    can you checkout the link to the plugin I gave above? it has awesome features, but its author seems to have given up on it :-(

I really need at least one good working shoutbox.

23. Jul 4th, 2008 8:32 AM

hello,
    I would really like to use your plugin instead of continuing to use the tagboard widget (http://freepressblog.org/wordpress-plugins-2/wordpress-tagboard-plugin-widget/) plugin which hasn't been maintained in quite a while, but I have 2 questions:

how do I change it into a shoutbox/chat? by setting the refresh interval to 0 sec?

how did you solve the problem with the commenters email address? usually you have to enter an email address, now doing that in a chat/shoutbox is cumbersome, I know the other plugins had probs with that.