WP Wall – WordPress Guestbook Plugin

WP Wall is a "Wall" widget that appears in your blog's side bar. Readers can add a quick comment about the blog as a whole, and the comment will appear in the sidebar immediately (without reloading the page).

All comments are internally handled by WordPress so that means you have normal comment moderation, SPAM protection and new comment notification.

WP Wall is fully customizable with a CSS file and included graphics.

WP Wall features:

• Global commenting "Wall"
  • Comments are handled entirely by WordPress
  • RSS Feed for the Wall
  • Smilies
  • Instant delete for admin
  • Navigation through pages
  • Interactive Wall: It can automatically refresh turning into a chat

4. Add the widget to your sidebar

5. Optionally add WP Wall recent comments to your sidebar. This will filter out wall comments from appearing on recent comments list

WP Wall Admin

FAQ

How does it work?

It creates a draft page in your blog under which all comments are stored.

What if I don't use widgets, how do I code this to appear in the sidebar?

Just put this code somewhere in your theme template, probably sidebar.php

<?php  if (function_exists('WPWall_Widget')) WPWall_Widget(); ?>

How does it combat SPAM ?

The same way your usual blog comments work. You can enable comment moderation. Or you can install one of the spam blocking plugins like Akismet.

How to have fixed height and a scrollbar for multiple comments?

Open up wp-wall.css and look for #wallcomments. You should add something like height:200px;. This will give it fixed height. Then increase the number of comments in the settings to 10-15.

How do I change it into a shoutbox/chat?

Just set the refresh time to 5 seconds in the WP Wall options. The Wall becomes a chat-box :)

Performance issues with hosting/server

Be careful with setting interactive chat option. On busy sites this can cause overload of server resources. Try increase the refresh time above 10 seconds or disable this option by setting 0.

An error occurred, please notify the administrator

If you have this problem, change the file permissions of the files in the wp wall directory to 755.

How can I enable smilies?

WP Wall can show smilies using built in WordPress functionality if you enable it in your administration panel (Settings-> Writing-> Convert emoticons...). You can find more information about using smilies here .

Is it possible to display a “Wall-Archive” Page to show all comments?

Actually you will find WP Wall in your draft pages. Just edit it to your liking and - publish it! All comments will appear at the end of the page as usual.
How do I add a border around the comment wall?

Add this to #wallcomments section of css file:

border: 1px solid #cccccc;
padding 7px;

How did you solve the problem with the commenter's email address?

The plugin does not require one to enter their email address.

What's new

- Fixed bug with if the blog was not in root directory (thanks Enrico Rossomando)
- Added a special recent comments widget which will not display Wall comments (thanks Enrico Rossomando!)
- Tested in 2.8

If you are looking for WordPress Developer, feel free to contact me.

1. Jul 21st, 2008 7:13 PM

It is showing terms of use page evident.php

2. Jul 21st, 2008 7:05 PM

what do you mean by cannot access? the site is up, I am just playing around with some widgets, thats all. Do you get an error or a timeout or anything?

3. Jul 21st, 2008 7:00 PM

I can not access your site.

4. Jul 21st, 2008 6:50 PM

I just disabled php speedy and the problems persist. could you have another look please?

5. Jul 20th, 2008 1:06 PM

yes I do, its some 0.81 or so.

6. Jul 20th, 2008 10:57 AM

ovidiu: Do you use the latest version of WP-Wall?

My firebug does not report the problem you mention but reports some other problems, probably caused by the php speedy plugin you are using.

7. Jul 20th, 2008 10:51 AM

hi there. this plugin is still giving me errors in firebug (using firefox 2) could you maybe check out the simple implementation on the site I gave in my profile?

here is one of the errors:

wallform[0] has no properties
    Line 105

8. Qiyang
    Jul 20th, 2008 10:36 AM

Hi,
    I just want to drop a note to say thanks to your plugin. Its fantastic.

I have a few ideas that I thought it would be cool to see in future versions:

It wold be cool to have a the wall display their gravatar beside each comments. This would, naturally require an additional field to take in their email address. Since wordpress now has gravatar, it would be cool to have it. Also, I think it would be neat if we can see the date/time of post when we do a mouse over or something like that.

9. Jul 19th, 2008 10:04 PM

Hi Vladimir--love the plugin, but I wanted to know if it's possible to change the date and time format that appears when you hover over entries. Right now the date/time shows up in 24 hour format. Is it possible to somehow change that to 12-hour format with AM & PM?

10. Jul 16th, 2008 7:59 AM

thanks for this plugin. just downloaded this and am lovin it so far :) nice to know that you placed helpful comments on the .css file. it makes it easier customize the widget.

11. Jul 15th, 2008 10:45 PM

Maarten: Glad that you could point out the problem..

12. Jul 15th, 2008 10:27 PM

How can I have the date of the latest post in spanish format? Where can I change months?

13. Maarten
    Jul 15th, 2008 8:58 PM

Hi there,
    I found out that the default template (kubrick) doesn't display comments on pages (at least in my installation (I use WP 2.5.1))

I used this template as baseline for creating my own.

Here is how to fix the problem:
    Just open page.php from your template and add this line of code:

<?php comments_template(); ?>

You should put it just in front of some line that looks like this:

<?php endwhile; endif; ?>
    <?php edit_post_link('Edit this entry.', '<p>', '</p>'); ?>

Now go to the page and edit it, it will show the comments!

Regards,
    Maarten

14. Jul 15th, 2008 8:06 PM

There is nothing special to it. If you can see comments on the wall, the comments are coming from that page.

15. Maarten
    Jul 15th, 2008 7:45 PM

@Fadi, That is what I mean. My page doens't show the comments, while I have enabled commenting on pages...

16. Jul 15th, 2008 7:32 PM

I've added the plugin, which is a great plugin. I also published the archives/guestbook page but it shows no comments as if they are disabled. The comments are enabled in the manage page screen. Any ideas?

17. Jul 15th, 2008 1:26 PM

How can I have the date of the latest post in spanish? Can I change it?
    I have wp wall working in my blog http://www.metalikos.org and I need to have date in spanish format.

18. Jul 15th, 2008 9:01 AM

no email address? why?
    i think the moderation best focus on email address, since there are guys with same name..

19. Maarten
    Jul 14th, 2008 8:22 PM

Hi there Vladimir,
    I installed your plugin, and its working. I got one little problem with the archive-page... it's not showing any entries. What code do I need to enter in it? Or does it need to have a certain title?

Regards, Maarten

20. Jul 13th, 2008 9:14 PM

Doh!

Thanks Vladimir.

21. Jul 13th, 2008 8:04 PM

Lee: Box hides on purpose to take less space when not used.

Brian: The excessive load reported is very suspicious. The file in question does nothing other the store a comment to WordPress the same way WordPress does. And it's working perfectly on many other sites.

22. Jul 13th, 2008 4:52 PM

Great Plugin, thanks!

For some reason the comment box and text input box disappears while the page is rendering. Any reason why this might be happening?